Wednesday, April 24, 2013

On the Verge

The image that first popped into my head was three silhouetted women in the classic style of Victorian, but with pith helmets on their heads. The three women would be of three different shades, and one of the women would have another woman climbing down from the pith helmets, much like a mountain climber would descent from Mt. Rushmore, having her scale down the face of one of the women. I chose the tag line, "Where life as we know it is, well, not as we know it." (p. 234) It is the second spoken line in Act Two, and I thought it was a perfect example for this play. That quote reminds me of Star Trek: The Original Series ("It's life, Jim, but not as we know it." Dr. McCoy, "Devil in the Dark"), which is science fiction, much like this play. They are not just exploring a world that no one else has traveled, they are exploring a different time. They are moving both slowly and quickly into the future and everything that they knew in their lifetime, from what are eggbeaters to who the President is, changes so quickly that literally life is not how they knew it. I chose the image because I still wanted the three women, but not holding the umbrellas or eggbeaters. I wanted them faded as to show the distance they have at the end, where Fanny stays with Nicky, Alex goes off with Troll, and Mary, the clearest of the them all, continues on with her journey to the future. The person scaling one of the women's face is not only from actual events in the play but it shows a descent their high intelligent language to their drop down to the rest of humanity. As the play went on, the less times I had to consult a dictionary for terms, and I wanted to reflect that.

I'm a creative person, and I couldn't help myself. Here is an actual image of what I was talking about.

7 comments:

  1. First off, I want to compliment you on your poster design and I really enjoy the fact that you took the time to actually make it and it is helpful for me to understand what exactly you meant by actually being able to see it. Also I like your tagline, but what throws me off a little bit is that you sort of compared the play to science fiction and I didn’t really get that vibe, but maybe a more surrealism or dreamlike vibe, not so much out of this world like sci-fi, but I do see where you are going with that. I also like how you pointed out that as the play went on you didn’t have to consult a dictionary too much any more, because I had a similar experience and I didn’t really consider it a drop or a descent in their intelligence to the rest of humanity, so thank you for giving me that to think about. And once again your poster is very concise and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay you are a complete over achiever and i love it. I agree with Yvette when she says that she didn't picture it as science-fictiony as this but I could see it from this perspective. I really like that design. I'm curious to know why you chose black and white and not actual colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally chose to do it in color, and I had just put the black and white together at first, then plan out the colors after design was complete, but I liked how the original ended up looking so I just kept it. No real reason for the black and white except I thought it looked pretty! :D Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. I love it! Especially since you took it to a completely literal level and showed the picture, nicely done. And your tag line helps to set everything in place. I could totally see myself walking down the hallway of the MDA and seeing this on the wall as a new play coming out opening in the Shaver. Very nicely explained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your explanation of the tagline you chose. It is true that the three women are existing and it is the only life they now experience in the play... yet the world and time are continually changing as they move forward in their exploration. Therefore, it is they only life they know, yet it is ever changing into something unfamiliar to them. Your design was amazing! BTW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to make everyone else look bad, Shelly. Seriously, this is excellent work. I really like what you did with the overlapping profile of the woman and the ascending grey tones. I'm not a huge fan of your tagline however. It comes off a little awkward, with the "well" in the middle, but I get what you were going for. Overall, nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm a compulsory over-achiever! I totally understand where you are coming from with the tag line being awkward. I had gotten it directly from the text, verbatim. But I like the awkwardness. They're traveling through time, and for anyone who's enough Doctor Who, they'd know it's not the most comfortable experience. I thought the tag showed that while they are very brave women, they are in extremely uncharted waters and are allowed show some trepidation in how they proceed ahead. I just wanted to capitalize on that. :) Thanks so much for your comments!

      Delete