Saturday, February 2, 2013

How I Learned to Drive

With Forne's How I Learned to Drive, I think the choice to use a Greek Chorus was definitely more than just a convenence of low casting. From what I got out of just reading it, I can see why Forne chose to have those three Greek Choruses playing different roles rather than each individual character be casted. One, it helped keep the focus on Lil' Bit and Peck and not on the numerous other characters. Two, to Lil' Bit and Peck, in the situation they were in, it probably felt like all the other characters were just one set of voices anyway. They are hiding this shameful secret and they are fearful that others will find out and it alienates them from others. So all the faces mesh together, an Us vs Them mentality. I personally think Forne did that beautifully by limiting the number of actors on stage.

A dramatical choice that I've never been a fan of is when the actor talks to the audience. Forne has a lot of that happening in this production, and sometimes the actor will stop in the middle of dialogue with another character to address the audience. As a spectator, I don't like being removed from the play by the actor.  But the difference in this production is that it feels like both an instructional video and a home video with commentary added to it. With the subject matter, I can understand why Forne would strive to distance the audience from the happenings in the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment